Saturday, January 17, 2015

Healthier Shrimp & Grits

About 2 weeks ago, I started reading "Made to Crave," and working out to Shaun T's newest program, Insanity Max:30. First, the book has really changed my way of thinking about food and Max:30 is just a plain ole insane workout that I'm loving! 

 I started a Free Clean Eating Challenge Group with a few other ladies and we spent the week uplifting each other to make healthier food choices, swapping recipes, and just having fun week staying positive! One of my friends, Andrea was in the group and shared this Buffalo Cauliflower Bites recipes and it looked DELISH! I'm not a huge fan of Buffalo flavored things, but the CAULIFLOWER sparked my interest!
 
Being the SOUTHERN girl that I am, I have been CRAVING some SHRIMP & GRITS lately! 

BUT....I didn't want to sabotage all of my healthy eating and working out by stuffing my face with a bowl of yummy deliciousness of cheesy grits!  

After Andrea posted about the Buffalo Cauliflower Bites, a light bulb went off and WAHH LAHH, I decided to try replacing the grits with cauliflower! 

And much to my surprise...I FELL IN LOVE!

There are definitely some kinks to work out in figuring out the serving size, but overall a SUCCESSFUL RECIPE!

So for all those pretty ladies begging for the recipe...here you go! QUICK, EASY, & DELISH!

 INGREDIENTS: 
  • Head of Cauliflower
  • Large Shrimp, tail removed (I used 6-8)
  • Sliced Mushrooms (I LOVE mushrooms, so I piled these high)
  • 2-3 Green Onions, chopped
  • 1-2 Slices of Turkey Bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • Low Fat Cheddar Cheese
  • Clove of Garlic, minced
  • Low Sodium Old Bay Seasoning 
  • Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
RECIPE:
  1. Cook turkey bacon and place aside; crumble once cooled down.
  2. Chop cauliflower into chunks and toss into a large saute pan with about an inch of water; cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or until cauliflower starts to get a tad bit translucent.
  3. While cauliflower is cooking, chop up mushrooms, garlic, and onions.
  4. Heat coconut oil in saute pan; add mushrooms and garlic and cook for around 5 minutes (really your preference on how you like your veggies, soft/crunchy).
  5. Toss shrimp with Old Bay Seasoning and add to the mushrooms and garlic and cook until pink. 
  6. While shrimp is cooking, drain cauliflower if needed and mash with potato masher. I didn't whip them only because I wanted to mimic the texture of the grits, so I left some pieces unmashed! 
  7. I added a BLUE container of cheese (21 Day Fix portion control containers), but if I had to guess, it would be less than 1/4 cup! 
  8. Start plating your bowl....1 cup of cauliflower "grits," 1 cup of the mushroom and shrimp mixture, sprinkle on some additional cheese, onions, and bacon!
  9. TAHHHH DAHHH: Healthier Shrimp & "Grits"
ENJOY & HOPE YOU LOVE IT TOO!





 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment